Flawless Review -- Sara Shepard

Title: Flawless
Author: Sara Shepard
Pages: 330
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date:  March 15th, 2007
Format I Read the Book In: paperback

Spencer stole her sister's boyfriend. Aria is brokenhearted over her English teacher. Emily likes her new friend Maya . . . as much more than a friend. Hanna's obsession with looking flawless is making her sick. And their most horrible secret yet is so scandalous that the truth would ruin them forever.
And why shouldn't I tell? They deserve to lose it all. With every crumpled note, wicked IM, and vindictive text message I send, I'll be taking these pretty little liars down. Trust me, I've got enough dirt to bury them alive.








Review:

Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

Flawless is the second book in the Pretty Little Liars series, which is currently set to be twelve installments, nine released at the moment. (The liar on the cover is Hanna.) Three years ago, four girls were at a sleepover with their friend, Ali. That night, Ali disappeared, and three years later, they're receiving odd text messages, IMs, and paper notes signed by someone named A. Since that night, they've grown apart, and they're now realizing they have to work together if they want to figure out what happened to Ali and who's sending them text messages now.

The girls are just as much of liars in this installment as they were in the first. There's a lot going on in their individual lives, and it's really interesting to read. The most exciting parts of the books are when the girls receive messages from A . . . it really makes you wonder who this A person is and what their motives are. The second book really steps the pacing up a notch, and in it, the girls are as freaked out as ever. One of their main focuses in this book, and pretty much where the main event all unfolds, is the charity dance called Foxy that the girls all can't wait to attend. Most of the plot in the book revolves around that dance.

Flawless is longer than Pretty Little Liars as well, by almost 50 pages. It didn't feel like it to me; I was burning through those pages, almost faster than I was in the first book. This is definitely a guilty pleasure series; I don't think I'd exactly be proud carrying these dolled-up books around with me, but at the same time, I can't get enough.

Shepard has this unique way of characterization that makes her characters feel totally relatable. Even when they're in situations you couldn't imagine yourself in to save your life, the emotions they feel and the reasons they do those things strike a nerve deep within you and make you feel sympathy for them when things go wrong and happy for them when things go very right.

At the moment, I'm giving Perfect, the third installment, a total stare-down. I can't wait to start it. I hope it's even better than the first two installments in the series! For those of you who don't know, the girl on the first book is Spencer, the girl on the second book is Hanna, and the girl on the third book is Aria. It took me a little while to get those down, considering how different the appearances are on the TV show. These books just fly by for me in the blink of an eye, and it's a very good thing they do.

Comments