Wintergirls Review -- Laurie Halse Anderson

WintergirlsWintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Here's the deal on Wintergirls:

-The story is completely fascinating, with Lia's eating disorder and the whole concept of a "wintergirl." What wasn't fascinating, however, was how I wasn't actually lovin' the plot until about 2/3 of the way through the book. Let's just say there was too much build-up.

-I like how realistic Lia's eating disorder seems even though Anderson hasn't (or at least I don't think she has) been through any of this herself. Very nice research done.

-Be prepared to put this book down if you're repulsed by things such as "Must. Not. Eat. Must. Not. Eat. Must. Not. Eat. Must. Not. Eat. Must. Not. Eat. Must. Not. Eat." stretching on for three pages.

-Lia has a little sister named Emma who's nine, and for some reason she bugs the crap out of me. I can't name a reason, but she seems like the pesky, annoying little sister I've never had, but will someday (I've got a five-year-old one, and she hasn't gone through this phase yet.)

-Be prepared to put this book down if you're also repulsed by ugly stepmothers . . . wait, no. It's wicked stepmothers, isn't it? Oh, well. Either will work.

-Actually, it doesn't really matter, because all of the parental figures in Lia's life EPICFAIL-suck. So, basically what I'm trying to say here is:

-There isn't one character in this book I truly cared about. Well, I guess Elijah was alright, but he wasn't the truly spectacular, I'd-cry-if-you-died type.


All in all, I wasn't too impressed with Wintergirls. And that's all I can really summarize about it.



View all my reviews

Comments