Twisted review -- Sara Shepard

Title: Twisted
Author: Sara Shepard
Pages: 305
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: July 5th 2011
Format: Hardcover

Buy the Book: Barnes & Noble, Amazon
It’s been a year since the torturous notes from A stopped and the mystery of Alison DiLaurentis’s disappearance was finally put to rest. Now seniors in high school, Aria, Spencer, Hanna and Emily are older, but they’re not any wiser. The Pretty Little Liars have more secrets than ever - twisted secrets that could destroy the perfect lives they’ve worked so hard to rebuild.

Aria’s jealous of her boyfriend’s new exchange student. Spencer’s getting a little too cozy with her soon-to-be-stepbrother. Hanna’s one scandalous photo away from ruining her dad’s Senate campaign. And Emily will do anything to get a swim scholarship.

Worst of all: Last spring break in Jamaica, they did something unforgivable. The girls are desperate to forget that fateful night, but they should know better than anyone that all secrets wash ashore … eventually.



Review



Okay, I can't exactly say I'm not enthralled the Pretty Little Liars series was expanded, but at the same time, I can't say I'm all that thrilled about it, either. This go-round of the Pretty Little Liars series is a lot different than the first eight books -- I can't exactly figure out why, but it seems really different. Like all the other Pretty Little Liars books, the ending is extremely thrilling and not exactly satisfying, and like all the other Pretty Little Liars books, the characters haven't exactly grown.

Spencer is still her straight-A, not-exactly-mature self who gets into trouble with guys and with school. Aria still gets torn up with jealousy in her romances, and seemingly hasn't learned anything. Hanna is still kind of a bitch -- except this time with naughty pictures. Emily is the one character, in my opinion, who's done some growth -- she faces real problems, and she shows a lot of compassion toward others. She's by far my favorite of the Liars.

I actually got kind or bored about halfway through, which is why it took so long for me to read the book -- three days (which is a LONG time for me). It wasn't as gripping as the other installments in the series have been in the past, but for some reason I squeal any time I think about A and my heart pounds hard when I think about how the next book, Ruthless, is out in a short two months.



I think the quality of the drama in the later books is increased, and Twisted is no exception at all. My favorite plotline in this book is Hanna's -- it's not exactly relatable (my dad isn't involved heavily in politics like Hanna's is), but it's very engrossing and I hated every time the chapter ended and I had to go through three more perspectives before I could get back to it. Even though Hanna is acting like she is on top of the world, her plotline was the most interesting.

Honestly, I can't freaking wait until the rest of the Pretty Little Liars books are out and I'll be able to read them. I'm going to hold my breath until then.




Four and a Half Owls

Comments