AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Mary Lindsey

Today on the blog, I have the fabulous Mary Lindsey, author of Shattered Souls, here to answer a few questions!

Here is a bit more about her sensational debut, Shattered Souls (and look at that gorgeous cover!):






A thrilling debut story of death, love, destiny and danger
Lenzi hears voices and has visions - gravestones, floods, a boy with steel gray eyes. Her boyfriend, Zak, can't help, and everything keeps getting louder and more intense. Then Lenzi meets Alden, the boy from her dreams, who reveals that she's a reincarnated Speaker - someone who can talk to and help lost souls - and that he has been her Protector for centuries.
Now Lenzi must choose between her life with Zak and the life she is destined to lead with Alden. But time is running out: a malevolent spirit is out to destroy Lenzi, and he will kill her if she doesn't make a decision soon.


1) Cereal or Oatmeal? 
Cereal absolutely. Lucky Charms are my favorites. I eat the marshmallows first and then the cereal. Yum.

2) Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings?
I love them both, but there is something about Harry Potter that really reaches me. It’s my favorite series ever!

3) Favorite color? 
Blue

4) Favorite movie? 
Howl’s Moving Castle

5) Favorite blogger? (*cough* [Just kidding!]) (This isn't even a serious question.)
My favorite blogger is without a doubt Hayden Casey!
[Thanks, Mary :)]

The Real 5): Chocolate or vanilla?
Vanilla with chocolate sauce!
[I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!]


Now, onto the actual questions:

1) Describe Shattered Souls using three adjectives. GO!
Creepy, romantic, fun!

2) Where did the title come from?
My editor came up with it. My original title was lame.

3) How do you feel about the amazing response the book has gotten?
Thrilled! It has been a fabulous experience and I’m so grateful for all the kind words and support from readers.

4) What was your favorite part about writing Shattered Souls?
Getting to know the characters and developing the world.

5) What was your favorite scene to write in the book?
The scene in which Lenzi and Alden first soul-share. It is the first scene I wrote.

6) Was there a particular event in your life (or person) that inspired the book?
The Great Storm of 1900 was the inspiration. A student of mine kind of kicked it off by accident.
I knew I wanted to write a ghost story. I also knew I wanted it to include an historical disaster that would produce a lot of unresolved dead guys. I toyed with the San Francisco Fire, the Civil War, World War II, but then, a high school student of mine told me she was reading a book for English that she hated. Trying to help her out, I offered to read it with her, like a buddy. She agreed, and I read Isaac’s Storm. It was amazing. I’d learned about the Great Storm of 1900 in high school, but the book made it real for me. I had my disaster. My enthusiasm for the Isaac’s Storm made it more tolerable for my student, but I’m still not sure she ever fell in love with it.

7) Were any of the characters inspired by real people?
Lenzi is named after one of my students, but the similarity ends there. Nicaragua Smith is a “real” ghost in Galveston, Texas. Alden’s dog, Spook, is based on my dog, Fig.

8) Where did the idea behind the Speakers and the Protectors come from?
I wanted Lenzi to commune with ghosts, and to me, even scarier than seeing ghosts is only hearing them. Originally, “Speakers” were called “Intercessors.”

9) What's your favorite part about being an author?
Meeting tons of cool people online and in person. This has been a tremendous pleasure for me.

10) Lastly, what is it like having all those animals in your house (including your children)?????
Well, it’s a zoo around here. That’s about all I can say about it.
Thank you so much for having me on your blog, Hayden!

Here's a little bit about Mary Lindsey:

Mary's debut novel, SHATTERED SOULS, was December 8, 2011 from Philomel/Penguin.

Her second book from Philomel/Penguin, a YA Gothic tentatively titled ANNABEL, has a planned release in Summer 2013.

Mary lives with her husband, three kids, two dogs, her daughter's pet rats, an Australian Bearded Dragon, and dozens of Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches.

She is represented by Ammi-Joan Paquette from the Erin Murphy Literary Agency.
 Thank you for being on the blog, Mary!

If you want to see what I thought about her fabulous debut, check out my review of Shattered Souls. Yes, I did marry the book. No judgment.

Comments

Lis said…
Great interview!
I totally loved it! Thank you.
Now, I can't wait to read this book!!! (huh! kill me, I love that cover, that was why I haved it at first in my TBR list!
Happy reading!