Before I Fall -- Lauren Oliver

Title: Before I Fall
Author: Lauren Oliver
Format: Paperback ($9.99 US)


Oh . . . Oh, my God . . .

Five stars. Five billion stars. Five quadrillion stars. Five infinity stars.

I don't think I'll ever read a book that'll touch me in quite the same way.

A lot of Goodreadsers didn't like Before I Fall because they couldn't relate to it at all and the characters didn't relate to them. Before I Fall did relate to me because the main character, Samantha Kingston, reminded me a lot of my best friend. I know, I know, that sounds bad, but I am in high school, and the things the people do in this book are scarily accurate to what I've come to know is high school over the past year and a half.

I never knew Before I Fall would have such an impact on my life. I saw it at Walmart about two years ago, and I kind of wish I would've gotten it then, because the book is indescribable in mere words. I don't even think any songs could describe it.

The teen voice in the novel is perfect. Oliver says things like I spot Amy Weiss -- probably the biggest gossip in the entire school -- making out with Oren Talmadge in the doorway like she's starving and his mouth is filled with Cheetos, and silly, corny stuff like that that only a high-schooler could say without sounding contrived. The book had some beautiful quotes, too, like Time and space recede and blast away like a universe expanding outward, leaving only darkness and the two of us on its periphery, darkness and breathing and touch.

Oliver wrote a truly beautiful novel that's touched me in more than one dimension. This novel shines through from the core, vulnerable, beautiful, transcendent. Before I Fall is a classic of this generation. It may not be 100 years old, but it has the emotional poignancy that deserves heavy praise. Please, people, if you only read one book in your entire life, let it be this one.


 x infinity
Infinite Number of Owls (Five Owls)

Comments

BookBreather said…
I really want to read this book! I absolutely adore Lauren Oliver's writing. She is so fabulous and her prose is gorgeous. I'm glad you liked it, and I'm glad to hear that is is scarily accurate to high school, because I'm in high school and there are not a lot of books that really get it right, in my opinion! Good review!
Unknown said…
Have you read the Delirium series? Fantastic, powerful, amazing series by Lauren Oliver. I liked it better than Before I Fall to be honest, just because I felt the characters were less "cliche". I think the only problem with this book for me was the characters, they were just annoying and too "typical high school". Do you know what I mean? It was really powerful though and it is one of those books you remember! Great review:)
Unknown said…
I've wanted to read this book for a while and this review has made me promise myself that I will! Your blog is great, I've just started out and I wish for mine to be as good one day :)
teenblurb.blogspot.co.uk