Review: Born at Midnight by CC Hunter


Kylie Galen has had a lot of crap tossed in her lap lately. Her parents are getting a divorce for who the heck knows why. Her boyfriend broke up with her because she wouldn't put out. And her grandmother died because . . . well, older people do that. But now, Kylie's acquired a stalker and she hasn't a clue what he wants or how to get rid of him . . . and she really wants to get rid of him because apparently she's the only one who sees him. Thinking she may be losing it, her parents send her off to see a psychologist who gets Kylie sent to Shadow Falls Camp. Kylie and her parents think it's a camp for troubled teens. 
They thought wrong.

Kylie's surrounded by vampires, werewolves, fairies, witches and shapeshifters. And if she believes what they tell her, she's one of them. They're just not sure exactly how she fits in. As Kylie struggles to cope with the realization that these creatures even exist, and the fact that she might not be human, she's got two hot guys, a werewolf and a half-fairy vying for her attention. And they can just keep vying. Kylie's determined that before she lets her heart loose on love, she needs to unearth the truth. What does the ghost want? Who can and can't she trust? And most of all . . . What is she? 

Rating: 3.5 Stars

My first read-through of this was a DNF, because I'd paid a bit too much attention to a couple of key negative reviews of this book, which diluted my reading experience and made me extremely dislike this. But, putting all that behind me when I realized I had the next two books to read, I plodded through Born at Midnight again with a clean slate.

I actually really enjoyed the ride.

*Le gasp!*

I know, I know. Don't judge me!

Again, just like during my first read-through, I had a bit of an issue with the third-person narration. I felt narration in first-person would've done wonders to the book, because first-person is much more immediate and intimate, and it makes you feel closer to the characters. As I continued to read, though, the narration faded into the background as I became more and more absorbed into the story.

The book is about a girl named Kylie who moves to a camp called Shadow Falls when her parents decide to get a divorce. There at the camp, a whole hoard of supernatural beings reside and train. Kylie's shrink saw symptoms of supernatural-ness in her, so they recommended she start attending. The concept of the book and the overall execution totally remind me of a more mature House of Night.

As far as the plot goes, the book kind of just trudges along for a while. Nothing much really happened at first; she was just adjusting to life at the camp. Some rules about it were set down, introductions with characters were given, et cetera.

One thing that bugged me about the book is how EVERYBODY AT THE CAMP SEEMS TO HAVE THE HOTS FOR KYLIE. It's beyond a love triangle; it's a love do-decagon that Kylie is hopelessly in the middle of. It's pretty ridiculous. As far as the two main love interests go, Lucas and Derek, I find myself commonly switching teams. I just can't decide who I honestly like better. It changes every time she's with the other one.

One thing I LOVED about the book is how Hunter stresses familial importance. Her struggles with her parents are heartbreaking, and there are some very nice underlying messages about it.

Not bad, CC Hunter. Not bad. 3.5 stars.



three-and-a-half owls

Comments