Review: Endure (Need, #4) by Carrie Jones

It’s all-out war (and no-holds-barred romance) in the climactic conclusion to Carrie Jones’s bestselling series.
Zara is at the center of an impending apocalypse. True, she’s successfully rescued Nick from Valhalla, but it simply isn’t enough. Evil pixies are ravaging Bedford, and they need much more than one great warrior; they need an army. Zara isn’t sure what her role is anymore. She’s not just fighting for her friends; she’s also a pixie queen. And to align her team of pixies with the humans she loves will be one of her greatest battles yet. Especially since she can’t even reconcile her growing feelings for her pixie king . . .

Unexpected turns, surprising revelations, and one utterly satisfying romantic finale make Endure a thrilling end to this series of bestsellers.
I've had a love-hate relationship with Carrie Jones over the years. Need was the first of her books I read, and I thought it was okay her writing was choppy and hard to read, but the characters were there, not to mention the whole phobia thing. How cool is that?!

Captivate, Need's sequel, took me even further into the world of Zara White and her friends, human and pixie alike, and I became infatuated with Jones's series. Entice made me love it. Imagine my heartbreak and disappointment when I found out this book was out a whole YEAR after Entice and, even then, kept getting pushed back.
Finally, a solid May release date got announced, and I just couldn't wait. I really enjoyed After Obsession, too, even though it had no ties to Jones's Need world and featured a brand-spanking-new co-author.

Endure, even though I never really liked the title (at all), was the best book in the series for me.

I feel like Carrie's writing has improved since the series started. Say goodbye to her former, choppier style of writing -- while that is warranted in some places during Endure, Carrie 2.0 has been released and is much an improvement. My favorite part of Endure is the end -- no, I'm not going to spoil it for you -- because it wrapped up the series perfectly. And -- *hint, hint* -- I always love the flash-forward-in-time epilogues. :D

The love interest in the series has always been a bit of a toss-up for me. In most series, you can usually guess who the MC will decide to end up with. Endure wasn't like that at all -- I honestly had no idea and felt like it was a flip-of-a-coin move for Jones. Either one would've benefited Zara in the long run, and I am quite happy with who she did end up with.

About those boys . . . *sigh* I feel like they were being really possessive and stupid throughout the entire book. Up until the end, I think neither of them deserved Zara and that what they really deserved was a frying pan to the face, but they redeemed themselves and stopped acting like idiots.

I loved the Norse mythology, even though I felt like a lot of it was thrown in my face. I overall just really enjoyed Endure.

One thing is for darned sure -- Carrie Jones sure can write an ending.
four and a half owls

Comments