Hidden by Sophie Jordan

Title: Hidden
Series: Firelight, #3
Author: Sophie Jordan
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 280
Rating: Five Owls



Goodreads Summary


Be warned . . . this summary spoils the first two books in the series!

Jacinda was supposed to bond with Cassian, the "prince" of their pride. But she resisted long before she fell in love with Will—a human and, worse, a hunter. When she ran away with Will, it ended in disaster, with Cassian's sister, Miram, captured. Weighed down by guilt, Jacinda knows she must rescue her to set things right. Yet to do so she will have to venture deep into the heart of enemy territory.

The only way Jacinda can reach Miram is by posing as a prisoner herself, though once she assumes that disguise, things quickly spiral out of her control. As she learns more about her captors, she realizes that even if Will and Cassian can carry out their part of the plan, there's no guarantee they'll all make it out alive. But what Jacinda never could have foreseen is that escaping would be only the beginning....

Loyalties are tested and sacrifices made in the explosive conclusion to Sophie Jordan's Firelight trilogy.





Review



Sophie Jordan, what the heck?



Why can't we all write like you.

Even when it's completely unintentional, your writing leaps off the page and strikes my heartstrings. Even if this book was completely plotless and the characters all sucked and everything about this book absolutely sucked, I would still be forced to give it at least three stars due to its writing.

Not to say everything else is bad, because it's not . . . far from it, actually. But now you get my point.

I went into Hidden without re-reading or skimming through the first two books in the series, so I wasn't refreshed on what had previously happened. However, I did remember one key thing that happened at the end of the second book, the cliffhanger (you know what I'm talking about), the massive cliffhanger that left me curled up in the fetal position bawling my eyes out. Yeah, that cliffhanger, the one that made all other cliffhangers feel of lesser importance.

With that in mind, I was relieved to see the cliffhanger brought to rest in this book. Also, because of its short length, Hidden was fast-paced and tightly plotted. If you're looking for a nice, long book where the characters lounge around and have a lot of conversations and wait for action, this one is not for you, by any means. The first page throws you right into the action, right where Vanish left off. Everything is super back-to-back, and you don't really have time to catch your breath after big action scenes.

Lemme just get this over with now: I LOVED THE END. I would shout this from the rooftops if I could. I loved everything about the end, even one key thing which not many people liked (I'm trying hard to avoid spoiling it for you!)

I also loved the characters. Jacinda is a breathtakingly human narrator: she is emotional, shows heartbreak, and also is extremely badass somehow. Her courage is awe-inspiring. As far as the Will-Cassian debate, I think Jordan ended it nicely (and also faux-ended it nicely, somewhere in the middle of the book, which surprised me). I like who Jacinda ended up with, and I also liked how she had somewhat made up her mind before the very end of the book. I see that happen in a lot of YA, the love triangle's resolution happening in the last few pages. In Hidden, Jacinda has had some time to let it stir around in her mind, and her decision is more than just eenie-meenie-minie-mo.

Basically, .





Five Owls

Comments

Unknown said…
Great review! :D I just finished Hidden this past weekend and I agree, it was a good conclusion to the series! I love the ending too. :)
Hidden is a fantastic adventure. Machines and her friends go on yet another magical adventure. A story of romance, heartbreak, loss, and friendship. The Firelight series was one of the most amazing stories I have ever read and seeing it end is difficult for me. This book is truly amazing.