FIND ME by Romily Bernard

Find Me

by Romily Bernard

published by HarperTeen

                        

“Find Me.”

These are the words written on Tessa Waye’s diary. The diary that ends up with Wick Tate. But Tessa’s just been found . . . dead.

Wick has the right computer-hacking skills for the job, but little interest in this perverse game of hide-and-seek. Until her sister Lily is the next target.

Then Griff, trailer-park boy next door and fellow hacker, shows up, intent on helping Wick. Is a happy ending possible with the threat of Wick’s deadbeat dad returning, the detective hunting him sniffing around Wick instead, and a killer taunting her at every step?

Foster child. Daughter of a felon. Loner hacker girl. Wick has a bad attitude and sarcasm to spare.

But she’s going to find this killer no matter what.

Because it just got personal.


                        



4.5 owls

The split second I laid my eyes on the stark, haunting cover of this book, I knew I had to read Find Me.

(But I waited until it came out in paperback, because, hello, it's cheaper.)

It definitely didn't disappoint. What I got was a tense, taut thriller that kept me reading on edge for hours. I think I gnawed off four pounds of nails reading Find Me. Initially, the weird names threw me off, but I got used to it. Wick, short for Wicket? What? Soon enough, Bernard's writing and intense mystery pulled me in far enough to completely forget about the names. Wick's hacker background (hackground?) was very interesting to read, and the immediacy of the sparse, present-tense writing and the whiplash-inducing speed of the mystery kept me turning pages in an anxious attempt to find out what would happen.

Wick's love interest happenings didn't turn me off, either, which is a tad unusual. Normally in mysteries/thrillers, I find romantic subplots to be distracting and/or annoying. In this case, however, I felt it only added to the overall product. Find Me is a genre-bending, fast, fun thrill ride from beginning to tense end. With an ending ripe for a sequel, I will definitely be reading on!



Comments